Pages

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Here's what it used to be like when I was young

Dears,

Grandma Letty, in her day, was something of a superstar. Salutatorian of her High School Class (the Valedictorian got an A in orchestra and Grandma Letty got a B in Chorus. That made the difference.) Delegate to Girl's State and elected Attorney General There, State wide debater earning many, many trophies, and a college record that included "Outstanding Woman in Journalism, writing awards, presidency of the class and of her sorority,Editor of the Daily Newspaper, National Debater, Judge on the Student Court,Phi Beta Kappa, Mortar Board, etc etc etc.

You know what? When I flashed that resume, the best job I could get was as an Editorial Assistant. My equivalent, I think, was Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connnor who graduated (at the same time) first in her class at Stanford University Law School and was offered a job (the only one) as a Paralegal. Gender discrimination was such a fact of life for us ladies of the 50's that we just accepted it. In hindsight, we should have raised hell.

I am tickled pink that my smart and savvy grandbabies will be taken seriously. I sincerely hope they aim high. We were cowed. They needn't be.

No comments: